Saturday, February 13, 2010

Week 3: Verbal Solutions

This week I'm bringing Verbal Solution ads to you!



This ad uses only text to convey the message. It is for Western Union and the copy reads "The fastest, most reliable way to receive money from abroad is now also the fastest, most reliable way to send money abroad." I think that by writing the text forward and backwards the idea of a fast and efficient way to transfer money becomes clear.




This is one of my favorite ads that use only verbal messages to convey the message. It is for marriage counseling and I think what is so effective is that it uses user participation to get the message across. By making the reader cut out the M and flip it around the message becomes "we" instead of "me" therefore further driving through the idea that the key to a good relationship is working together as partners.




Though this ad is an example of verbal solutions, I don't think it serves as the most effective example. The copy is not the clearest means of getting the message across and it took me a while to figure out what angle they were trying to play with. I think that a lot of times beer ads use verbal means of communication for print ads because they cannot get as much across like they can on television ads. It is hard to tell a story through one print ad so most of the time they take the easy way out and just use a headline.

No comments:

Post a Comment